Below is a documentation of making my prototype planter. I used materials that were already available to me and it was a pretty simple process.
As I said in the previous blog post, I need to make a prototype of my idea. I have drawn up a plan in my sketchbook.
I know that this isn’t a perfect prototype because there are a few differences between the idea and this, but I am hoping that it will be an adequate proof of concept for now, whilst I can gather together some more appropriate materials and make something more similar to my idea.
One of the biggest questions looming over this project is how to water the plants. I thought I had figured this out by just leaving holes in the bottoms and tops of the ‘cells’ that align and then the water can get to each section. However after a discussion regarding this project I realised this would not be a very good project. This is because the soil would have to be very saturated for each section to be watered. This means I need to come up with some alternative solutions.
Below are some photos of my sketchbook pages that show some of the ideas I was having.
The plan is to make a couple of prototypes that will help test the ideas that I have here and will help me to figure out which one is the best/most practical solution.
My new idea for the light project is to make a plant pot system that makes the best use of space. The photo below explains the initial idea.
The idea comes from the idea that you could have something akin to a living wall but in your home that can also be configured so that you could have it at different heights and widths. They could also be used as conventional plant pots. The thing that I like about this idea is that as long as the base design is sound, it’s then a simple case of scaling bigger and smaller according to people’s needs.
I have decided to change the idea that Iam doing for my Light project. This is mostly because I’m finding it hard to see where this project is going. I think I had an interesting idea but I was just struggling with it and I think I would like to revisit it, maybe in my own time or something. I have a new idea that I would like to explore that I am more excited about and I have a much clearer idea about what it is and where it’s going and the kind of experiments I need to do to get there.
To take the photos I wanted for my little experiment, I set up a mini photoshoot in the hallway of my house. Below is a photo of my setup.
I wasn’t 100% happy with how this came out I think mostly because the photos aren’t very creepy and I wanted them to feel more creepy. I think the colours are too warm and I should have made them cooler in editing. I’m quite happy with the composition and fixed camera angle but I think there’s still more tweaking to be done.
I decided that I wanted to make a paper model of my room so that I could try out one of my initial ideas which was to tell the story of this weird recurring dream I get. I wanted to do this by using as little as possible. I wanted everything to be as empty and as plain as possible whilst still making it relatable i.e. people could see what was going on and understand it fairly easily. The idea is that I would use pure atmosphere and light to tell the story rather than dialogue and characters.
The dream that I have that I wanted tell the story of is where I’m lying in my bed and the door will open and there’s a man who enters the room. He doesn’t do anything but it still feels really frightening. I know it doesn’t seem like a lot but there’s a certain atmosphere to this dream that is really unsettling. The idea is that I will take pictures of a ‘set’ made of paper where I play around with the lighting to create atmosphere and give a sense of time moving from day to night.
Below are pictures of the process and completed ‘set’.
I have made this little set of my room. I only has two sides out of four because I don’t need the other sides. The camera angle is going to be fixed to I don’t need to worry about making the rest of it.