I had a lot of ideas for potential medals and one of the hardest things to pin down was which one I would end up doing. A few of my main ideas were:
Something that could fold away and serve a dual purpose. (This was quickly discarded though because it didn’t meet the brief at all)
An archery medal because I do archery. This could have been nice because it would have more of a design element but I didn’t think it would necessarily be suitable for this particular project.
A sarcastic medal for people who didn’t win anything kind of like a consolation prize. I liked the idea of doing this because it would be fun and so I did some work on this idea. It could also be a nice idea to do in a typographical sense.
An object that everyone would covet and want, something that would connect meaningfully with people.
Just before we broke up for the summer last year, we were introduced to a summer project which was all about designing a medal for the British Art Medal Society (BAMS).
We were shown a video of the brief so that we could get a better idea of what was expected and to get some ideas. I was quite excited to do the BAMS project because I remember being told about it before even applying to the course and so I wanted to get started on it as soon as possible.
The idea was that we would be told about the project in advance so that we could work on it over the summer and begin making almost straight away when we got back.
The 25th was our first day back, I wasn’t sure how I felt about this because I didn’t really like last year that much so I was a bit nervous.
We had a talk about the year ahead and I managed to get a desk space that I like.
Today I had a meeting with a careers advisor about the course because I was still a bit unsure about it all, she made me feel a lot better about it all so I’ve decided to stick with it for now.
After my meeting I continued to work on my BAMS project. At the start of year briefing we had been told there were couple of other briefs but I wanted to stick to doing the BAMS project because I had had the summer to develop ideas for it and I’d reached a fairly solid solid design that I wanted to do and that I was excited about.
We had a more detailed briefing about BAMS where we could ask questions about things we were unsure of. What I learned was that BAMS is very traditional and I’m starting to wonder how well I can actually adhere to that. So I guess I am a little worried about it but I know that I’ve got something that I really want to do and will keep me interested in the project.
We had a talk about pouring bronze and an overview of the process. It was really interesting and nice to get an idea of what would be coming up in the coming weeks.
After the talk I started to finalise my design and come up with a plan on how to make it so that I could get a mould.
My plan was to make the design on illustrator and then laser cut it. I wanted to do it this way because my design is very precise and I doubt I would be able to do it without CAD.
I started using Adobe Illustrator to make my design. It started well and the design was looking good.
We also had our constellation induction where we were told about how constellation would work this year. I have to admit I little bit daunted by it all.
I managed to finish my CAD and then I started my ideas sheet which was about my origami medal.
I had to resubmit my planter thing because I wasn’t able to make the planter I had said I’d make due to just finding it really hard. I had been really struggling to do this thing because I didn’t really know how to prototype it. I tried doing it with wood which worked the best but when I tried it with clay that just completely failed. I had the option to do a new project but I thought that would be too much.
I needed to find a way to do it, so I just used paper to prototype it and it worked. Then my dad had a good idea to get it laser cut by some people he knew so I went onto illustrator and made a file for them to cut. The pieces arrived and I checked if they fit together and they did. I then used an MDF sealant and lined them with plastic. This is because MDF can go mouldy. I then got a tube which I drilled holes into, put it through the assembled boxes and then put the soil and seeds in.
Above are picture of the finished thing, I’m happy with how it has turned out. I think that there are revisions I could make to future models but for now I think this one demonstrates the concept pretty well and it’s definitely the best rendition so far.
I found getting to this ending point very stressful but at least it’s done now.
I have decided that for my final piece I wanted to make some fish using wire, masking tape and tissue paper. My hope was that I could make more expressive and interesting models this way.
My idea was that I could display a couple of models on plinth in front of my drawings.
I started by making a prototype to test out my method as I wasn’t sure how it would work to glue tissue paper to masking tape.
I did this by making an eel based off of one of my drawings.
Once I had done that, I decided to make an octopus which was meant to show how octopus are consumed in quite a cruel way in Japan. The octopus are killed in quite a nasty way because they are believed to taste better soon after they have died. The thing was that there is a problem with disposable chopsticks and so I thought I could make an octopus and put chopsticks in it.
Above is the process of making my octopus. I decided not to continue it because I didn’t think it fit in the well so I wanted to just do the fish.